Long Beach Lawn-to-Garden Turf Replacement Program
Now that Earth Day has come and gone, it’s time to put those environmental values into practice! If you own a home in Long Beach, CA and are looking to go green, save some green, or BOTH, check out the City of Long Beach’s Lawn-to-Garden program! You could receive a rebate of up to $3,000 just for turning your water-guzzling lawn into a beautiful variety of semi-arid plants and flowers! At the moment the city of Long Beach, CA is experiencing an imminent water shortage and many outdoor water usage restrictions are now in effect. The following are restrictions that Long Beach residents now have to adhere to:
- Outdoor irrigation is only allowed on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
- Using drinkable water for landscaping purposes is no longer allowed between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. daily. During the allowed hours, each station can only have up to 10 minutes of watering at a time.
- Residents may no longer over-water their landscape to the point where there is excessive, unused run-off.
- A regular hose nozzle cannot be used to spray any area that is not landscaped (i.e. driveways, sidewalks, walls, etc.); these areas can only be washed with high-pressure devices.
- Restaurants may only serve water to those customers who request it.
Making the switch from Lawn-to-Garden is not only smart and savvy, it’s STUNNING! If you are in the Long Beach area and would like more information about the Long Beach Lawn-to-Garden Turf Replacement Program, or if you’d like to take part in a tour of past participants’ new gardens, visit the website for the Third Annual Long Beach Lawn-to-Garden Tour being held on Saturday, May 3rd.