Memorial Day is a time to pause and honor and remember those who died in service to our country. Originally called Decoration Day, it started from the tradition of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths, and flags. Over the years, Memorial Day has also become the unofficial beginning of summer, a weekend that with Labor Day brackets the summer season.
Here in Long Beach, California, there are a number of activities scheduled. Here’s a few that we’ve put together:
Honor The Fallen Memorial Day Eve – Sunday May 28, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Aquarium of the Pacific – 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach CA 90802. Navy Band, Lakewood Marching Band, face painting, dinner and entertainment, F-16 flyover. Come and enjoy free music and entertainment behind the Aquarium of the Pacific.
Patchwork Show Long Beach – Sunday, May 28th, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Marine Stadium Launch Ramps, Appian Way, Long Beach CA. Festival featuring 200+ local makers, crafters, designers, and food artisans. Live music, food trucks, DIY crafting.
Memorial Day Program – Monday, May 29th, 10 a.m. – Keynote address, patriotic music, ceremonial wreath presentation. Forest Lawn – Long Beach, 1500 E. San Antonio Drive, Long Beach CA 90807. Free admission and parking.
Other Local Activities
If you don’t want to attend an actual event, there are plenty of other ways to spend your Memorial Day Weekend. Here are some other ideas.
- Visit the Aquarium of the Pacific and have lunch at Shoreline Village.
- Go to 2nd & PCH for some shopping and a meal.
- Make your own tapas by getting small dishes at different restaurants within The Hangar.
- Take a Duffy Boat ride around Naples Island. (While you’re on the water, don’t forget to go by our new listing!)
- Go on a mini-vacation to Newport Beach, Coronado Island, or Santa Barbara.
- Weather permitting, pack a picnic for the family and spend the day at the beach.
Memorial Day And Beyond
Do you know about any events that we missed? Let us know below!