Fear of COVID and economic uncertainty has caused some people to put their home searches on hold. However, many people are forging ahead with their plans and staying safe during the process. While buying a home during the pandemic may look different than buying a home at other times, it is still possible. Here’s everything you need to know about house-hunting in a pandemic!
Reasons Buyers Are Out Looking At Homes Now
- Simply put, pandemic or not, some people need to move. Whether because of a death in the family, a birth, divorce, financial hardship, a job transfer or a need for more space to accommodate working or learning from home, some buyers need and want to move as quickly as possible.
- Real estate agents have become more innovative. The growth of real estate technology allows home purchasers to virtually meet with agents. This way, potential buyers can first discuss their real estate options without ever leaving their homes. If they do decide to move forward, they can virtually view homes, get pre-approved for loans, review contracts, and sign papers. All of this can happen within the required safety protocols so real estate agents are continuing to help families make important moves.
- Buyers understand that mortgage rates are an important component when determining their monthly payments. Mortgage interest rates are close to all-time lows. So today’s buyers can have an opportunity to save tens of thousands of dollars over the lifetime of a loan.
Don’t forget! You now need a pre-approval to view many homes for sale in California! If you need a referral to a lender, please give us a call at 562.896.2456 so we can direct you to someone who can get you started with that process.
How to Stay Safe While Buying a Home During a Pandemic
- Mask up! If you need a mask or hand sanitizer, your real estate agent should provide them for you. However, it’s always good to have these items with you. Additionally, any home that is being shown right now should be sanitized after every showing. You should also avoid touching anything, and you must limit your viewings to two members of your buying party plus one real estate agent.
- As mentioned above, technology is helping people stay safe these days. Take advantage of 3D tours and neighborhood videos. Many agents will have these on their websites. These are great resources for helping you explore homes and areas without leaving your home. It’s also possible to schedule a Facetime showing with your agent if you can’t or would prefer not to be there in person.
- Make sure you trust your real estate agent. The right agent will take your safety seriously and help ease any fears you might have. Here at The Shannon Jones Team, your safety is of the utmost priority. We understand that buying a home during a pandemic can be scary! We are here to make sure you are educated and feel safe.
Home Buying Resources
Despite the current pandemic, your dreams of homeownership are still obtainable. Knowledge is key at any point when you’re buying a home, but especially when you’re buying a home during a pandemic! We’ve included some resources below to help you learn as much as you can about the process. If you have any further questions about safety protocols or how we’re conducting business right now, please fill out the form below.
- Choosing A Long Beach Realtor
- Buying A Home In 2021: How You Can Prepare
- Perfect House, Wrong Neighborhood?
- How To Buy A Home In A Strong Seller’s Market