Today is the first official day of fall! Are you and your home ready? Even though it may not look like fall – we are in Southern California after all! – there are still plenty of fall home projects you can tackle this season. We’ve compiled a helpful fall maintenance checklist to keep your home in tip-top shape this fall.
Fall Maintenance Checklist
- Inspect your roof for missing, loose, or damaged shingles. Get repairs if needed.
- Check your gutter and downspout alignment to verify that rainwater collects and drains away from the house. Adjust if needed. Also clear gutters and downspouts of leaves and other debris.
- Examine tree branches and trim if needed so they are at least 2 feet away from the roof and gutters.
- Have an arborist inspect any trees that appear weakened by drought. Also, ask them to trim the dead parts out of any trees or shrubs.
- Examine the grounds of your property. Fix cracks or loose pieces in walkways, driveways, and entryways. Also, inspect the foundation for cracks and arrange for repairs if needed.
- Clean and store seasonal outdoor furniture.
- Look for cracks and gaps around windows and doors, seal with caulk and weather stripping as needed.
- Check safety devices inside your house. Replace batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors if needed. Also, check the expiration date on your fire extinguisher and replace it if needed.
- Clean out dryer vents and any forced air vents around your home. Cool, dry weather in the fall can increase static electricity, so it’s better to get the lint out now and not run the risk of a fire being sparked.
- Prepare your fireplace. Schedule a chimney sweep to come and clean out your fireplace to make sure it’s ready for use. Don’t forget to check other heating systems in your house such as furnaces or boilers.
Once the fall maintenance checklist is complete, you can move on to the fun stuff like carving pumpkins and putting out fall scented candles. Just by completing these simple tasks, you can be assured that you and your home are ready for the changing seasons! If you’re looking to sell your home this fall, this checklist is a great place to start! But here are some more ways to get your home ready to sell.
If you’re ready to talk logistics, please fill out the form below to get started!